Wow. Tessa over at Nothing Was Said has very kindly nominated me for the Liebster Award. I must admit that it was a few hours before the penny dropped and I realised what was going on. I was (still am) chuffed to be nominated. I looked it up on the interweb thingy to see what it was all about. There seems to be an awful lot of different rules with this award but I kind of get the idea. It did mean that I finally had to figure out how to put links onto this here blog. Remember, I have trouble understanding the concept of clock work so this kind of stuff involved quite a few cock ups on my part.
Anyway, the RULES.
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you: Thank you Tessa at Nothing Was Said. You are a sweetheart.
2. Answer 11 questions they set.
3. Nominate other blogs with less than 200 followers.
4. Let them know about the nomination and the questions.
Other rules I’ve read have said to list 11 things about yourself and the number of followers for a blog seems to vary an awful lot. Some say 200, others say 2000 while others say other numbers. One of the blogs I intend nominating has more than 200 but less than 1000, while another one gives absolutely no indication that I can see of the number of followers – it may be 6, it may be 1,000,000. I have no idea. Rules are there to be broken so if I break them, I’m sure the World won’t end.
1. Who is your favourite band/artist and why?
I listen to and enjoy a wide range of music from Miles Davis to John Lee Hooker, early Springsteen, Dre and Eminem, George Michael, John Legend, Led Zepp’ and Jimi Hendrix. I work out to Linkin Park. I have been a fan of Neil Young since forever but my favourite of all time is the Rolling Stones. As a band they never fail to produce excellent music that I can listen to all day every day.
2. Who is your biggest inspiration?
This is difficult. I cannot put it down to one individual as I have been inspired by many people during my lifetime. I think that if it came down to one individual I would have to say Nelson Mandela. That bloke was just unbelievable. I never met him but I wish I had. I met a guy who worked for him and he told me he was the nicest, most humble man you could ever meet.
3. What is your favourite food?
Curry. Chicken Dansak with rice (of course), onion bhajis with sundry bits and pieces. Apple pie and custard for dessert or maybe bread pudding. Stella to drink or if it’s sitting down with PIL drinking wine, its white zinfandel.
4. Where do you want to travel to most in the world?
There are many places. I want to go back to Kenya (PIL and I got married there), North America (both the U.S. and Canada) and despite it only being a 2 hour flight away, I’ve never been to Barcelona. I’m told it’s a beautiful city and the Cathedral has to be seen to be believed.
5. If you were the creator of your own planet, what would it be called and what would it look like?
It would be called “Bob”. I have never been to another planet so I have nothing to compare it to but I think Planet Bob would look very much like our planet. Earth is a beautiful place. However, on Planet Bob there would be no poverty, everyone would have enough to eat and have clean drinking water. I would take away the pollution. Sir David Attenborough would be the President of Planet Bob and he would live as long as he wanted. There would be no place for Robert Mugabe, Kim Jong-un or any others of their ilk.
6. Are you more like your mother or your father?
Apparently, physically I look incredibly like my dad. Temperament wise I think I’m like my mum. She had a very long fuse (she needed it being married to my dad!). No doubt my sister Boo will have something to say on this!
7. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?
I hope that I will be sitting in my garden gazing at the fruits of my labour there before my kids demolish it again playing football, basketball, cricket or rugby. I will continue to write my blog, take the pooch for a walk every day and no longer have to worry about work or money. I will have a permanent smile on my face not of smugness but of satisfaction at what I have done and achieved during my lifetime and what I will continue to achieve and do for the rest of my life.
8. At school, were you a rebel or a teacher’s pet?
A rebel. Always in trouble. Always missing lessons.
9. Who is your favourite author and why?
I read for relaxation so I like books that don’t involve a lot of effort. I read both fiction and non fiction. Currently, I’m into Lee Childs and his Jack Reacher series of novels. A certain amount of brain cells get involved trying to work out “whodunnit” and they are an easy read. I like John le Carre, particularly the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy series. That involved paying attention. Both authors construct the characters well, the story lines are plausible and both lead the reader up the wrong path before you finally get it. I read Charles Dickens “A Tale of Two Cities” before Christmas. It was a struggle to begin with because the language and sentence construction is so different to modern novels. The first two or three chapters were hard going but it clicked into place then and it was worth the perseverance.
10. What is your least favourite animal?
Easy. Slugs. The slimy bastards keep eating my garden!
11. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Work hard, play hard, party hard. Never let the bastards grind you down. Be yourself.
Well, that little lot will now mean that people will think “What a berk” but never mind. I’m now supposed to make my own nominations but before I do, on some of the rules I read about the Liebster, it was said you should list 11 things about yourself. I may not list 11, but here are some things about me.
1. I’m right-handed, left footed and a left-handed kayaker.
2. In my late teens/early 20s, I was a kayaking instructor and raced white water racing C2s with my best mate at the time.
3. I started going grey at the age of 16.
4. I am short-sighted and wear contact lenses.
5. I don’t like Marmite.
6. I have no superpowers.
7. I am a Chelsea supporter, always have been, always will be. My dad was and my children and PIL are.
8. I am slightly red/green colour blind.
9. My favourite colour is green. Or is it blue?
10. Despite what my so-called friends claim, I did not fight at the Battle of Crecy in 1346!
11. I am now a non smoker.
Now for my nominations.
totaltimewaste Has more than 200 followers but there you go. written by a 17-year-old who seems to be obsessed with girls. Worth a look as it’s very funny
thecrumpettfiles I only found this blog a short while ago and I think it’s brilliant. The posts are quite short but without trying to be poncy, it’s like drinking elderflower cordial over ice on a hot summers day – totalling refreshing.
sunfartsandvagrainbows Should be approached with caution. Susie Sunfarts hates everything and everyone and isn’t scared to let you know! Profane,anarchic this blog is the antithesis of all others. While every other blogger on the planet was wishing everyone a Happy New Year, Susie was giving everyone the finger! She hates everyone from the guy who comes out every morning, starts his car and leaves it running to the “cheer up, look on the bright side” brigade. I think it’s great. The observations are very sharp and it’s all tongue in cheek. Or you think it is until you get to the last sentence or two and think, “Oh wow! I hope she doesn’t have access to firearms.”
My questions for my nominees:
1. What does your dream house look like?
2. What is your drink of choice?
3. If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?
4. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
5. What is your favourite food?
6.Who is your biggest inspiration?
7. Would you prefer to live in a big city, the suburbs or the countryside?
8. When you were 11 what did you want to be when you grew up?
9. What is your favourite colour?
10. How old am I?
11. What was the first record you ever bought?
Have a great day.
More Dick soon.
I’m not obsessed with girls…okay you got me 😀
Ok. Received and understood. I’m not obsessed with your blog but I think it’s excellent. Am I a pervert? Probably. Have a great day
LikeLiked by 1 person
Wow. Super fast and to the point. 🙂